Dr. Kavitha Mahadevan
Dr. Kavitha Mahadevan is a practising sports and exercise physician with the Ministry of Health. She was certified as a personal trainer with the American Council of Exercise (ACE) in 2010, and is an Advanced Health and Fitness Specialist (AHFS) too. In 2014, she became a Certified Level 1 Barefoot Trainer and has been a strong advocate of barefoot training ever since.
Her job scope includes diagnosing and managing sports and non-sports related musculoskeletal injuries, and drawing out individualized rehabilitation programs. Besides injury management, she is avidly involved in weight management programs for individuals undergoing gastric bypass surgery. A mother of two boys, she has a special interest in women and exercise, and is passionate about the topic of exercise in pregnancy. She appears regularly on Astro V’buzz talking about exercising during pregnancy and childhood obesity.
Dr. Kavitha has been a fitness educator with FITM since 2011 and hopes to grow further in the education line. She’s a strong believer of corrective exercises, and the use of exercise for both primary and secondary prevention of injuries and non-communicable diseases.
Education and Qualifications
- Diploma in Biomedical Sciences, International Medical University, Malaysia
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor in Surgery, International Medical University, Malaysia
- Masters in Sports and Exercise Medicine, University of Malaya, Malaysia
- American Council on Exercise (ACE) Certified Personal Trainer
American Council on Exercise (ACE)
- Advanced Health and Fitness Specialist
- Barefoot Trainer Level 1
- Exercise in Pregnancy Certification